Friday, November 11, 2011

Never Let Me Go

When I first read "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro (an adult novel), I wasn't too impressed with it. It seemed too similar to "Unwind" by Neal Shusterman (a young adult novel) which I had read first. However, if I had checked out the publication dates I would have discovered "Never Let Me Go" (recently made into a motion picture) was written first. I thought the book told an interesting story, but the writing was simple. Imagine a world where cloned individuals are created to enlongate life beyond what one's original body could sustain. Imagine being that cloned "person", falling in love with another "person" with the dangling carrot of deferring the entire donation of your being for a few more years in which to experience Love so newly found. The carrot is ripped from your vision suddenly- what then is left to live for, if there is no free will? Your life purpose was designed and noble, to give life. "We all complete. Maybe none of us understand what we've lived through or felt we had enough time." Enough time, to do what exactly? Take for example the movie "Limitless" where an idealistic but unproductive science fiction writer is given the opportunity to use ALL of his brain function with the ingestion of a tiny clear pill, daily. What would you do with that ability? The gentleman star of the movie smartly makes additional pills (without side effects that were slowly killing him) and gains power through financial prowess, gaining back his love. Money. Power. Love. What is life without love or without purpose? If you have purpose but don't love what you do, what existence is that?

With that being said, I seek to do something good in this world. I want to be good at what I do and love doing it. All else will fall into place. Isn't that simple? I've heard simple is good, so perhaps simple writing in "Never Let Me Go" has a purpose. Sometimes it's the story, not the telling which should count.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments with me! As soon as I get a chance, I will check out your comment and approve it (unless you are an angry spambot bent on dominating the world, one spam post at a time).