Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Most Difficult Books

Millions website picks the top 10 most difficult books.  I believe I am a pretty decently read person- I know quite a few well-read people so I can't claim that fame (but I do read a lot). 

Here's the list:
1621: The Anatomy of Melancholy
by Robert Burton
1667: Paradise Lost by John Milton
1704: A Tale of a Tub by Jonathan Swift
1747-8: Clarissa by Samuel Richardson
1759-67: The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne
1851: Moby Dick by Herman Melville
1922-62: The Cantos by Ezra Pound
1927: To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
1964: The Sonnets by Ted Berrigan
1969: The Dream Songs by John Berryman
1969: Ada, or Ardor by Vladimir Nabokov
1974: Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany

Please note, I've not read any of these.  I don't feel the desire either (though I have a friend who would read ALL of them just to prove she could read them and later be able to brag about it).  Publisher's Weekly came out with their own spinoff list. Guess what?  Didn't read any of those either.  I thought I was pretty well educated.  Was my schooling deficient?  Have you read any off of either list and if so, what were your thoughts?

I actually think most textbooks (required reading) are pretty difficult because they put me to sleep or create long moments of boredom.  It's not the content per se, but perhaps the required part.  No, I think it is the way textbooks are written usually, pretty dry and serious.  Why can't we get some textbooks that read like 50 Shades series or better yet, like a Ken Follett novel?  What say you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments with me! As soon as I get a chance, I will check out your comment and approve it (unless you are an angry spambot bent on dominating the world, one spam post at a time).